Job Title: Capital Projects Manager
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
The Esplanade Association (EA) is seeking an experienced, reliable, and highly-motivated Capital Projects Manager to provide direct oversight of all EA-led planning and capital projects efforts on the Charles River Esplanade. The Capital Projects Manager will bring strategy, organization, adaptability, and effective communication to the implementation of EA’s capital projects, working collaboratively with EA’s senior leadership team, board of directors, project partners, and the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation in carrying out EA’s annual and long-term goals.
About the Esplanade Association (www.esplanade.org):
The Esplanade Association is an 18-year-old non-profit dedicated to revitalizing, enhancing, programming, and maintaining the historic Charles River Esplanade in downtown Boston. The Esplanade is a 64-acre park revered for its natural & cultivated beauty, riverfront access, miles of populated running trails, and thoughtful programming. Last year, the Esplanade Association completed planning studies in pathway safety, tree succession, invasives management, and interpretive services while partnering to launch a new beer garden, producing dozens of high quality events, and much more. It’s an exciting time to join a growing team at a small, visible, and successful non-profit!
· Primary management of all planning, design, and capital projects efforts for the Esplanade Association within budget, schedule, and political constraints
· Prepare preliminary project specific budgets & schedules for capital projects
· Oversee vendor selection, contract, budget, insurance, day-to-day management, billing, and park access processes for third-party contractors, including RFPs
· Serve as lead staff liaison to Board of Directors’ Projects & Planning Committee; research and organize potential projects for inclusion in annual and long term capital plans
· Facilitate permitting and government approval processes for EA capital projects
· Track and manage maintenance of EA-managed project areas and facilities, including but not limited to playgrounds, art sculptures, irrigation infrastructure, and other park features
· Develop site layout and access plans for project contractors and program/event partners
· Work with grant-writer and development staff to provide timely, accurate information for use in grant proposals and in donor communications associated with current and prospective planning efforts and capital projects
· Lead the development of shared park operations standards with key government and community stakeholders
· Issue clear, timely, and accurate reports to senior leadership, Board of Directors, government partners, and key stakeholders on project progress
· Track all current, pending, and proposed DCR, MassDOT, and third-party projects with potential impacts on the Charles River Esplanade and coordinate EA involvement and response
· Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning or similar field; relevant Master’s degree or Professional Degree a plus
· Several years of project management experience required and should be in role of “responsible manager” for project execution. Previous experience with nonprofits, public parks, and/or government is desirable.
· Excellent written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong professional relationships.
· Ability to work independently or with a group and a proactive approach to problem solving
· A love for public parks and appreciation for the management of a dynamic, historic public space
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and an ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and ways of completing tasks.
· Must possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license at time of appointment and for duration of employment.
· Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, carry up to 50 lbs., crawl, climb, and lift as necessary to carry out duties.
· Will be required to complete a iCORI background check
· Work hours are Monday through Friday, but occasional weekend days will be required.
· Flexibility is required to accommodate evening and weekend events, holidays, and some limited travel.
· Participate in signature organizational events and meetings, which may include but not be limited to staff, Board, volunteer, fundraising, and programming activities as assigned
· Salary is commensurate with experience.
· Paid Time Off, Health, Dental, HSA, 401k, and Commuter benefits are available.
· Please email cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with job title in the subject line.
· Cover letter must address the following question: What is your favorite public space and why?
The Esplanade Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Esplanade Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, nonprofit need, and wanting to enjoy who we work with.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com